Homepages Banner


SSHC is committed to research and professional development and supports general practitioners, practice nurses and other community based health care workers via on-site education and training opportunities.


  • Student placements and clinical attachments are available within the counselling, medical and nursing units.
  • Priorities are given to NSW and Australian university undergraduate and postgraduate students.
  • All people undertaking placements must provide documentation in line with NSW Health Placement Policy Directives.
Doctors looking into microscope


Undergraduate and Postgraduate Placements

All clinical placements are booked through your education provider. Contact SSHC Clinical Nurse Educator on (02) 9382 7440 for more information.

Sexual Health Nurse Clinical Placements

We offer sexual health nursing clinical placement to RNs, targeted to people working in the specialties of Aboriginal health, practice nursing, midwifery, HIV and AIDS, women’s health, youth health, primary health, mental health and alcohol and other drugs.

Placements are offered according to staff availability. Contact the Clinical Nurse Educator on (02) 9382 7440 for more information.


Please contact the Allied health Unit manager regarding enquires about student placements. email sshc@health.nsw.gov.au with the subject ‘Attn: Counselling’


Undergraduate Students

University of NSW medical students undertake a 4-week placement during their society and health term. Students also attend for their Independent Learning Project placement. Final year medical students may also undertake a placement by special arrangement.

University of Sydney, University of NSW, University of Newcastle and University of Notre Dame final year medical students may undertake a placement by special arrangement.

For final year medical elective placements please contact UNSW.

Postgraduate Students

Students requiring clinical placements for completion of postgraduate studies should email sshc@health.nsw.gov.au.

We encourage special placements for general practitioners or other specialists wishing to up-skill in sexual health medicine. To become an advanced trainee in sexual health medicine contact The Royal Australasian College of Physicians.

General Practitioners

Please visit the NSW STI Programs Unit for more information about GP sexual health training in NSW.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.